The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thanks be to whatever gods there are....

Earthquake in Haiti. 230,000 dead. Port Au Prince devastated. The Haitian economy halved in 30 seconds.
Earthquake in Chile. 8.8. Death toll still rising. Tsunami preparations from New Zealand to Japan.

I just heard another ‘major snow storm’ is predicted for next weekend. We’re still getting snow, and still shoveling out from this one. I groaned and rolled my eyes heaven-ward when I heard about the forecast.

Then, I paused. I can prepare for a snow storm. I have canned food, and can heat it on my portable propane grill. I can fill the bathtub with water for keeping the toilets usable (!), make sure I have bottled water for me & the pups, can buy a generator so I have electricity. Extra food for the dogs – check. Flashlights – check. Candles – check. Hard-wired phone – check. In short, I can batten down the hatches and prepare.

You can’t prepare for an earthquake. You can ready yourself, but there’s no warning. If you’re unlucky enough to be under a bridge, in a poorly constructed building, or simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that’s it.

I’ll take a snow storm any day….

No comments:

Post a Comment