The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Friday, February 19, 2010

It's Friday... time for Mexican

Just back from VIVA! the Mexican restaurant at the corner of State & Aurora. Had my usual super nachos (actually, I split them - that's *a lot* of nachos for one person), and house margarita with salt.

I was happy to be seated in Andy's section. He's my favorite waiter (OK, to be p.c., 'waitperson') at Viva. I've never seen him flustered, and is attentive without being obsequious. His dark blond hair, glasses, short Van Dyke style beard and portly physique make him look studious. The quirk at the corner of his mouth and the twinkle in his eye hint at his dry sense of humor.

Andy has worked in the restaurant part of Viva for 10 or so years. He's one of the original restaurant employees. There are two parts to Viva. The cantina (pseudo-fast food) opened in 1995, but I've not eaten there for several years. I prefer the restaurant side because it is a restaurant, rather than 'grab a bite & fly' place. While it's a bit noisy and usually crowded, the food is hearty, relatively inexpensive, and it's a fun place to hang out on a Friday night.

Many of the employees have worked their for years -- the maitre d' (hostess) and one of the bartenders have been there as long as I can remember. These two women are also unflappable. I envy their aplomb.


http://www.vivataqueria.com/Home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment