The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Monday, June 7, 2010

Hugs and kisses

Yesterday, one of my patients said 'Kuro was the only dog I've ever known who knew how to hug back.'

It broke my heart to hear that. It's true, and I'll never be hugged back by him again. My sister is grief-stricken, too. 'I can't imagine a world where the name 'Kuro' won't be said again.'

Nor can I.

'It's just a dog, for chrissake!'

The yahoo who said that didn't understand the essence of The Big Guy. It's comparable to saying 'well, it was only a kid' to someone whose child died.

From the way he'd s-l-o-w-l-y turn his head to you after you stopped petting him (his way of saying 'hey! keep going!' to the way he'd stick his nose under your hand and flip it up to get more pets, to the tip of his tail -- variegated grey until the end. Then a black circle ending with a white tip -- everything about this dog was noteworthy. People who were 'petrified' of big dogs would soon end up with their arms encircling his neck, snuggling into him.

Underneath that genteel, calm demeanor was the heart and soul of a goof. He'd woooooo! when he was happy. Imagine that! A being who would throw back his head and shout with joy upon seeing you in the morning! What a welcome! What a great way to start the day!

On walks, he'd catch up and walk between you and your partner, looking for pets and telling you 'I'm here!' He'd catch your hand or arm in his mouth and gently hold you. Yes, my dearest dog, I love you too.

Hugs and kisses from Kuro. Hugs and kisses to Kuro, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment