The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Evolution's architecture

I took my A&P (anatomy & physiology) class to the gross anatomy lab at New York Chiropractic College tonight. I am amazed by the intelligent design of evolution. Amazing that over the course of millennia, we morphed from plants, to eukaryotes, to multicellular organisms, through reptiles, to mammals, to us. I am incredibly fortunate to have the ability to have these opportunities, and to share them with others.

The structures and organs of the body are feats of spectacular engineering and architecture. The graceful arch of the aorta as it sweeps out of the heart, the intricate network of the brachial plexus emanating from the delicate cervical vertebrae, the clean lines of the sciatic nerve plunging out from beneath the piriformis muscle, the molded, smooth articular cartilage of the knee -- humans cannot replicate the detail of structure or function of the body with our awkward attempts at building.

The more I learn about anatomy, the deeper my knowledge of physiology, the more I value the ability to keep learning about both.

No comments:

Post a Comment