The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Both ends of the spectrum

As a chiropractor I specialize in geriatrics. As an educator, I work with numerous students under the age of 25. I've loved the dichotomy of working with people from both ends of the spectrum. I get to learn from my elders, and get to teach, guide, and (hopefully) have an impact on at least a few.

My favorite patient (aged 92) decided to sell her car. She hasn't driven for several years, but had a friend who would take her to lunch or shopping in the snazzy Z3. I spoke with W. a couple of weeks ago. She told me then she'd decided to sell the BMW, but wasn't sure it would start. I offered to swing by and see if the engine would turn over -- out of gas or bad battery were clearly the first two items to be checked. Sure enough, the battery was dead. After a charge and a couple of 1/2 hour drives, the little car turned over like a charm.

And what a great car. Less than 24K miles on the odo, immaculate interior & exterior, and 'owned by a little old lady.' Really!

Sadly, selling her car is a step in W's efforts to tie up loose ends prior to The End. This is hard for me -- she's a terrific, positive, upbeat trooper who, no matter how hard life is, or what life deals her, somehow always figures out a way to put a 'every cloud has a lining' spin on issues.

Last week, too, I unexpectedly met a favorite student from a 2007 class. R has major health problems, and in the 2+ years I've known him, I've seen his world shrink down until he had to leave school and stop working. He looked great on Thursday, and his health has improved. It was very flattering to see him; he was clearly happy to see me, and gave me a big hug when we parted.

I'm also co-fostering the year old dog that snagged my heart last month. She's so energetic! I feel like a parent -- organizing activities for socialization and arranging play dates for her. I'm a big believer in 'a tired dog is a happy dog' and this sure makes for a happier owner!

The other end of the spectrum: The Big Guy. His hindquarters have simply quit working several times over the past 3 days. The blazing heat of Friday and Saturday were awful for him. I pulled out a fan and he enjoyed not moving as the cooler air flowed over his body.

At this point, every day I have him is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment