The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On educatin'

I teach an anatomy course at a local college. This year's class is huge -- the school opened another lab section, providing more slots for students. Between that and the uncertain economy, enrollment has more than doubled.

We're 4 weeks, one quiz, and one exam into the semester. It's kind of scary to look at the grades for these two assessments. It's particularly frustrating for me as an instructor as I can literally stand up in front of the class and tell them 'this material will be on the exam.' And they still get it wrong.

It's even more frustrating when students then blame the instructor. And I guarantee that many of the students that are struggling will be blaming this instructor.

I've given a similar exam every single of the 5 years I've taught this course. Some classes do better than others. My favorite A&P class ever had phenomenal students -- the core group that made it to the second semester all got A's on the first exam.

It mat be that the lousy economy, which is driving students to continue their educations, has spiked the number of weak students to struggle into and through health care curricula.

I don't want people who don't know the material in the field. They'd be working on me -- and you. No grade inflation or 'pass 'em through' attitude here!

No comments:

Post a Comment