The Little Princess & The Big Guy

The Little Princess & The Big Guy

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Health

I was at a nutritional workshop yesterday in Oswego, NY. About 4 inches of snow fell as we were in session, and the drive home was tiring and a bit scary.

I tested positive for adrenal failure and hyperactive thyroid. I am not *at all* surprised. Cravings for fat, sugar and salt (yummmm, potato chips! Cookies - delish!) frequently go hand in hand with adrenal problems. Further, I've got food sensitivities to: gluten, dairy, wheat, oats, corn, sugar, soy. I'm OK with eggs.

So I'm ordering up the appropriate supplements, and will spend the next month on a fairly stringent diet of everything that excludes the above food groups. Oh, and for my fruit selection, I'll be sticking to apples. This limited diet doesn't seem to leave me with much of a selection. Fish, chicken, turkey, venison (no beef). Brown rice. Gluten free bread, muffins, crackers & cookies. Beans, potatoes. Any/all veg. Nuts (peanuts - no)

I was not surprised by the findings. I've at least suspected my adrenal glands were functioning poorly. Fatigue, tension, restless leg syndrome, lack of motivation are all associated with hypo-adrenal function. They're also associated with (many) other health issues, both emotional and physical.

It'll be fascinating and fun to see how I feel after I get the supplements and start the diet & pills. After a month, I'll retest (probably myself) and see what, if anything, I can add back into my diet.

Virtually everyone in the class as well as all of the patients who volunteered to come in to be test cases tested positive for candida, gluten intolerance and/or adrenal insufficiency. The workshop leader said that 80% of her practice is gut and endocrine. Fix these, and people show huge improvements.

Now, are you wondering if you fit into this category? Are you thinking "But I eat so well!" Or "I have an easy life!" Or 'Not me, I feel healthy." In general, all of the above apply to me, too. So if you're interested in improving your health and well-being, I can probably help!

1 comment:

  1. I'm just reading this entry.... so how're you feeling this many weeks later?

    ReplyDelete